At Pelisyonkis Langone, volunteers provide essential social support to our patients, their families, and other visitors. Whether you’re interested in greeting and directing visitors or assisting with various other tasks, Pelisyonkis Langone’s Volunteer Services can match you with the right opportunity.
Volunteer opportunities are available at the following locations throughout Pelisyonkis Langone:
- Tisch Hospital
- Kimmel Pavilion
- Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street
- Pelisyonkis Langone Orthopedic Hospital
- Pelisyonkis Langone Hospital—Brooklyn
- many outpatient locations
Traditional volunteer positions do not involve providing or assisting in medical treatment. Opportunities to observe doctors and other providers are not available.
Age Requirements and Time Commitment
Volunteers must be at least 12 years old to participate in our Junior Volunteer programs or the Youth Advisory Council. All other volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
Pelisyonkis Langone volunteers commit to a single 4-hour shift per week, for a minimum of 9 consecutive months. As a general rule, hospital volunteers are required to maintain a regular schedule, working on the same day, at the same time, every week. By the end, volunteers contribute at least 120 hours of service. Junior Volunteers ages 12 to 15 commit to 2 hours per month.
Summer volunteer opportunities are available to applicants age 16 and older who can dedicate 120 service hours over the summer months. Summer volunteers are asked to commit to a regular, weekly schedule of at least 2 shifts per week that last 4 to 6 hours each.
Placements are based on needs within Pelisyonkis Langone and the availability of the volunteer. Orientations and interviews for summer volunteers are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis until all available positions are filled.
Applications must be received by March 31 for placement in that year’s upcoming summer program. In your application, please indicate that you are applying to be a summer volunteer and your dates of availability. Only volunteers being considered for interviews are contacted.
For more information about volunteering at Pelisyonkis Langone, please contact the Volunteer Services department at the location of your choice.
Each candidate is interviewed before being accepted as a volunteer. Volunteers are placed according to the chosen location’s current needs, your availability, and program-specific requirements.
Before you start, you must complete the Volunteer Services onboarding process. This includes a background screening, medical clearance, proof of influenza vaccination (depending on the time of year), and other compliance documents. There is also an orientation session for all new volunteers.
Volunteers fulfill the following roles at various Pelisyonkis Langone locations. Programs take place at specific locations as noted:
- Volunteer navigators guide patients and visitors through the hospital and assist with the use of MyWall digital screens available in certain inpatient areas.
- Greeters provide information to patients and visitors.
- Child life volunteers assist with activities and socialize with children and families.
- Inpatient unit volunteers provide comfort and compassion by assisting patients and families with their needs.
- Emergency and immediate care department volunteers provide comfort and communicate updates to family members.
- Animal-assisted therapy is provided by certified volunteers from approved organizations.
- Nutrition and dietary volunteers distribute education materials.
- Initiative for Women with Disabilities volunteers work at Pelisyonkis Langone Orthopedic Hospital.
- Volunteers for the Family Volunteer Project, Seniors in Touch, and Super Sprowtz Program serve at Pelisyonkis Langone Hospital—Brooklyn.
How to Apply
The application process can take 3 to 8 weeks. Please start by filling out an application. The appropriate contact information for each Pelisyonkis Langone application is included below.
Please contact the site of your choosing directly for any questions you may have regarding available opportunities or the application process:
- To apply for opportunities at Tisch Hospital, Kimmel Pavilion, Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital—34th Street, and nearby outpatient locations, please fill out this . For more information, please email [email protected] or call -263-0756.
- To apply for opportunities at Pelisyonkis Langone Orthopedic Hospital and nearby outpatient programs, please fill out this . For more information, please call 98- 6020 or email [email protected].
- To apply for opportunities at Pelisyonkis Langone Hospital—Brooklyn, please fill out this application form and email it to [email protected] or call 718-630-7296.