Psychologists at Pelisyonkis Langone’s Rusk Rehabilitation provide a wide range of mental health services and counseling for our inpatient and outpatient programs.
Inpatient Rehabilitation Psychology
Psychologists help adults and children develop coping skills and strategies that address the emotional and social impact of their health condition to help improve their overall wellbeing. Rusk Rehabilitation psychologists provide services for children at Hassenfeld Children’s Hospital at Pelisyonkis Langone.
Our psychology staff works with people in the hospital to address rehabilitation issues specific to their condition. Some examples include:
- Patients requiring pulmonary rehabilitation are taught stress management and relaxation techniques, and receive tobacco cessation counseling if appropriate.
- Patients who have had an amputation receive psychological counseling to address the natural stress associated with the loss and effects of amputation, helping them to adjust.
- Patients who have had a stroke work with our psychologists to determine cognitive areas of functioning that may have been affected by the stroke.
- People with neurological disabilities work with our psychologists to identify and address any emotional and behavioral changes or impairments in thinking abilities that may have resulted from disease or injury.
- Patients with medically complex conditions such as spinal cord injury, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease receive psychological therapy to address the unique challenges posed with the complexities of pain and progressive illness.
Outpatient Rehabilitation Psychology
Rusk Rehabilitation’s Outpatient Rehabilitation Psychology Service is the largest program of its kind on the eastern seaboard. Our staff provides a full range of psychological services, including evaluations, individual therapy sessions, family therapy, and group treatments and consultation. The staff is multilingual, offering therapy sessions in Spanish, Mandarin, Greek, Russian, and Hebrew. Translator services are also available for patients who speak other languages.
Our psychologists treat patients with a range of different medical and neurological conditions, including spinal cord injury, muscular dystrophy, vestibular disorders, cancer, cardiovascular disease, Lyme disease, chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic pain, traumatic brain injury, stroke, cerebral hemorrhage or aneurysm, epilepsy, brain tumor, anoxia, multiple sclerosis, and Parkinson’s disease.